25 Feb Sweet Potato Lentil Dahl
Dahl is the ultimate comfort food and mild enough to be kid friendly and is a nice introduction to Indian foods! Can be made mild for the kiddies and simply add chilli flakes or sauce for the adults. Add extra water to turn it into a soup.
- 2 onions
- 3 tsp chopped ginger
- 3 sweet potato (kumera) cut into small chunks
- Curry spices or paste of your choice – cumin, paprika, tumeric, coriander, cinnamon , garam masala – anything you have in your pantry
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste (or a tin of crushed tomatoes)
- 2 cup water
- 2 tsp / cube of vege stock
- 1 tin coconut cream
- 1 cup red lentils – rinsed
- Large bag of spinach
Cook the onion until soft, add the ginger and spices and cook until fragrant.
Add the water, coconut cream, tomato paste and the crumbled vegetable stock. Stir to combine.
Add the sweet potato and red lentils, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 mins. Towards the end use a potato masher to mush up the sweet potato.
Turn off heat and stir through spinach and add salt & pepper.
Serve with oven baked tortilla strips and extra veges if needed.